If you would like a copy of any of these publications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Journal Special Issues Guest Edited
- Raja, Samina, Jill Clark, Julia Freedgood, and Kimberley Hodgson (Guest Editors). 2018. Special Issue on Local Government in Food Systems Work. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development. 8 (Supplement 2), October 2018.
- Raja, Samina, Kevin Morgan, and Enjoli Hall (Guest Editors). 2017. Special Issue on Planning for Equitable Urban and Regional Food Systems. Built Environment. 43 (3).
Books and Monographs
- Raja, Samina, Erin Sweeney, Yeeli Mui, and Emmanuel Frimpong Boamah. 2021. Local Government Planning for Community Food Systems: Opportunity, Innovation, and Equity. Food and Agriculture Organization.
- World Health Organization. 2018. WHO Housing and Health Guidelines. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. [Role: Member, Guideline Development Group]
- The National Academies Committee on Health Impact Assessment. 2011. Improving Health in the United States: The Role of Health Impact Assessment. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC. Forthcoming. [Committee members and authors: D. Bear, R. Bhatia, S. Cantor, B. Cave, A. Diez Roux, C. Dora, J. Fielding, J Graff Zivin, Richard Jackson (Chair), J. Levy, J. Quint, S. Raja, A. Schulz, and A. Wernham.]
- Raja, Samina, Branden Born, and Jessica Kozlowski Russell. 2008. A Planners’ Guide to Community and Regional Food Planning: Transforming Food Environments, Building Healthy Communities. Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Series, No. 554. Chicago, Illinois: American Planning Association. 112 p.
- Raja, Samina, Marcia Caton Campbell, Alexandra Judelsohn, Branden Born, and Alfonso Morales (eds). Planning for Equitable Urban Agriculture in the USA: A New Ethic in City Building. Springer Press. Forthcoming (expected April 2024).
1. Raja, Samina. 2013. “A Review of Sustainable Food Planning: Evolving Theory and Practice.” Journal of the American Planning Association 79(30):3-4.
Articles in Popular Press and Other Venues
- Raja, Samina and Robert Shibley. “Standing in Unity and Action: Black Lives Matter.” June 20, 2020.
- Raja, Samina, and Chunyuan Diao. 2016. “A Community-Led View of Urban Agriculture Policy Making.” Urban Agriculture Magazine 31.
- Raja, Samina, Femke Hoekstra, and Rene Veenhuizen. 2016. “Editorial. Giving Space to Use Urban Space: Community Involvement in Urban Planning and Policy Development to Strengthen Urban Food Systems.” Urban Agriculture Magazine 31.
- Raja, Samina. 2015. “Why all Cities should have a Department of Food.” The Conversation. April 3, 2015.
- Raja, Samina and Heather Wooten. 2010. “Food systems planning – an opportunity for planners in private practice.” Newsletter, Private Practice Division, American Planning Association.
- Raja, Samina. 2008. “Food for Thought” Final Word. UB Today.
- Raja, Samina. 2008. Section in an article titled “A question for the boss: What questions should employees ask themselves about the health of their workforce?” Impact: Improving Health for Population and Individuals. School of Health and Health Professions, University at Buffalo, Newsletter. April 2008.
- Breinlich, Angelika and Samina Raja. 2006. “Sometimes applesauce is about more than just apples.” Buffalo Rising, Online Magazine. November 2006.
- Raja, Samina. 2005b. “Food for Growth” Intersight: Journal of the School of Architecture and Planning, 8 (2005): 112-117.